How your pediatricians in Jacksonville, FL, can help if your child has ADHD
You want the best for your child, and that includes doing well in school. If your child is having trouble paying attention, it could be a sign of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, commonly called ADHD, a condition that can lead to problems even when your child becomes an adult.
Fortunately, your pediatrician can help diagnose and treat ADHD. The pediatricians at Jacksonville Kids Pediatrics in Jacksonville, FL, offer a wide range of pediatric services, including treatment for this condition.
So, how can you tell if your child might be suffering from ADHD? There are a few signs and symptoms for you to look for, including:
- Squirming, fidgeting, or hand/foot-tapping
- Inability to remain seated for extended periods
- Running, climbing, or other activity at inappropriate times
- Blurting out answers to questions and excessive talking
- Difficulty or inability to focus on details/follow directions
- Poor organizational skills
- Frequently losing items
- Frequently distracted or forgetful
The bottom line is, the main characteristics of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, according to the Child Development Institute.
Undiagnosed and untreated ADHD can have serious consequences which can affect your child’s ability to learn and function well later in life. These are just a few of the consequences your child may experience:
- Poor grades
- Bad behaviors
- Difficulty keeping friends
- Belligerent, aggressive behaviors
- Mood swings, depression, and frustration
- Emotional growth issues
- Problems sleeping
ADHD is a developmental condition, and it can be managed and treated using a combination of different therapies. Your pediatrician may recommend:
- Behavioral therapy, with both child and parent, to focus on minimizing inappropriate, destructive behaviors.
- Lifestyle modifications, which may include dietary restrictions on sugar intake, as well as increasing vitamins, nutrients, and exercise.
- Medication therapy, using medications that will improve brain function and increase focus.
You want the best for your child, and that’s important, especially if you think that your child may have ADHD. To learn more about the signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of ADHD, talk with the experts. Call the pediatricians of Jacksonville Kids Pediatrics in Jacksonville, FL, at (904) 446-9991. Call now!